Saturday, January 19, 2008

There is more to diapers than just poop

Have you ever had a desire.

I bet you did. In fact it is likely you have an unmet desire right now.

Like you I had a desire too...of doing extremely well in my career and advancing to the very top.

But there was a simple problem I had to first overcome. The question of HOW.

How do I go about achieving my desire. Obviously it was not just about burying myself in my work and doing a great job of delivering results. For this was just what I was doing for many years and it was obviously not working.

Little did I realize the answer was right under my nose..my two little kids. One a 2 year old boy and the other a 1 year old girl.

I loved my kids but had conflicting emotions about them. Sometimes they were my number one priority and sometimes they played second fiddle to my priority for career advancement.

I loved the tender moments when my son looked at me cried..Daddy and ran into my arms or the welcome dance I recieved upon returning home from work.

But there were also times when I plumbed the depths of frustration by his acts like emptying a full bottle of oil on the bed or stuffing the heating vents with diapers.

...and the never ending ritual of changing diapers...

I looked at taking care of my kids as... well ... taking care of kids. No more no less. It was an important part of my life, but only a part of my life tucked away in its own corner.

I was always thinking about my career and getting frustrated that it was going nowhere.

Then one day I got struck by a simple but profound insight.

To get more in life I had to become the person worthy of attracting my desires into my life.

In my case that meant working on my anger and becoming more even tempered and much more patient. I was not exactly a raving lunatic but it hardly takes more than a careless email written in the heat of the moment to undo years of good will.

I used to will myself to keep calm but this was not working.

I realized I had created an artificial compartment between home and work. I expected myself to behave a certain way at work but let my guard (and anger) at home.

What happens at home does not stay at home. As the saying goes "Your character is what you do when nobody is watching you". In this case it meant when no colleague was watching what I do at home.

What better way to become a better person by trying to become a better parent. You are tested as a leader. Your buttons are pushed at all times.

Your stress levels go through the roof when you manage a kid running a high fever, a runny nose or a fussy eater.

Parenting, I realized was a far more challenging job than anything I did at work.

This was a test life was posing to me. And little did I realize that.

From that day I looked on at changing diapers, feeding my children and other parenting tasks as having a valuable benefit far beyond what the actual tasks entailed.

I finally got the big picture.

If I could keep my cool as a parent I would succeed in overcoming my biggest stumbling block at work .

I am working hard at it

No comments: