Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Instead of testing I was trusting

I am talking about making assumptions. It is very sneaky.You can get blindsided by it.

Unless I am of a different species from the homo sapiens, making assumptions is a common fallacy for many others. Worse we make it automatically and unconsciously and suffer a lower quality of life as a result.

This point was driven home to me recently.

The weather pundits forecast a heavy overnight snow shower of about 10 inches.

True enough when I got up in the morning I was worried to see the whole ground, including my driveway, covered in snow. I got more worried as the clock ticked by and my snow plower did not show up. I left two voicemails for him and finally got him on the 3rd attempt.

He was surprised to hear my request for plowing my driveway.

There was not that much snowfall actually!. Not even enough to warrant my contractor to leave his house to plow his customers' driveways.

He was certainly an honest gentleman.

I could have found this out for myself by just walking out and stepping on the ground. I would have realized instantly that it was not much. Certainly not enough to prevent me from driving my car over it.

Instead of testing I was trusting... ( of the weather man yes the weather man. See how naive I can be).

I was too lazy mentally to think critically for myself.

Fortunately my staying home did not lead to a crisis at work. I am not that critical to my employer any way..not yet.

But this was an eye opener to a lazy mental habit of making assumptions.

As the US Army says...If you assume ...you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.

Got it?

No comments: