Friday, January 11, 2008

Letting Go

Recently I was reading a book (now, one thing you will learn about me soon is that I am passionate about reading) titled Discovering the laws of life. This book was compiled by John Marks Templeton the founder of the very large Templeton mutual fund.



On page 132 there was a passage whose message really struck home. It quotes the texts of Taoism in saying that what is softest and most yielding is also the strongest force. For e.g. water and wind. They can wear down even the mightiest mountain to pebbles in time.



In order to apply this principle we must believe in a higher power or god or whatever you may want to call it and surrender to it. If you have a problem in your life (who does not) you must do whatever you can without resistance or struggle and then turn your attention to a higher power and surrender to it. Sort of "doing your best and leaving the rest to god".



While I understand it at one level I do not think I get it.



I did have a few experiences a notable one being when I was working on my laptop and its battery was almost dead. I was working on something important and needed to submit the work before it died. I could not. The laptop died before I could complete my task.



But instead of indulging in my normal emotional reaction. I let go. I had searched for and could not find the charger. So I just shrugged it off without creating an emotional storm.



Next day morning when I was waking up I was struck by a thought about where the charger could possibly. When I searched there, I found it.



Read the Discovering the laws of life if you can find it. It is an exceptional collection of the universal laws of life some of them with interesting anecdotes as well.

No comments: