Sunday, April 13, 2008

Losing But Still Coming Out A Winner

Those of you who read one of my earlier posts the message will know that I had been preparing for an area level contest of Toastmasters.

Well, I competed and ...lost.

I was disappointed for sure, but also very gratified by my performance.

You see the only person I was comparing to ... was myself. And I had beaten me.

This was my best performance to date. I hope soon to host the videos of my first speech, the Ice Breaker I delivered in August 2007 to the latest speech that I delivered in April 2008.

The difference is obvious.

As Darren LaCroix, one of the Toastmaster world champions of public speaking often states...it is stage time, stage time, stage time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Naveen, on a winning attitude.

I had a similar experience after last year's district speech contest. Although I did not place in the top three, I knew that I had given a performance better than any other up to that point. And that's what winning is about.

You can view the speech including my self-critique in an article series starting here.

Stay positive, and next year you'll walk out of that contest with the 1st place trophy.

Naveen said...

Andrew

I could not locate your self critique. Great site though

Anonymous said...

Here is the speech self-critique article.

Naveen said...

Andrew

Got it.

I pretty much the same thing after my Area contest speech.

Who is 'dlugan'. He has a pretty impressive site and I will add it to my blogroll once I set it up.

I watched his YouTube video. His sense of humor is pretty flat though. He might have won the Division contest but he will not win my vote.

Naveen