Thursday, May 15, 2008

heed this

One of the challenges some speakers, atleast me, face, is to come up with a speech title.

I remember the first speech I made at ToastMasters. It was an icebreaker. I titled my speech,'sleep breaker', very imaginative:(

I was invited by the Toastmaster of the meeting to change the title to something more meaningful, I declined the offer.

It was only after I delivered the speech that I realized I could have come up with at atleast two catchy titles. One, "Everything you wanted to know about me, but were too uninterested to ask".

The speech started with a death in my family and ended with a birth, that of my son. I realized, another great title would have been "From Death To Birth". Considering that this is against the normal flow of life it would have been a real attention grabber.

Focus on the content of your speech and the title will come to you. Save time by not bothering to create a title before you create a speech.

Your speech titles are a lot like headlines. The right title can pique audience interest and get you a bigger audience.

No comments: